Something New (2006)

Directed by Sanaa Hamri
Starring Sanaa Lathan, Simon Baker, and Blair Underwood

I don’t really drink that much dark beer. But, beer is beer and I don’t discriminate when it comes to light or dark beer. So when a friend suggested I try Guinness I thought, “What the hell. Why not? You only live once.” I always considered trying one only it never really felt like the right time. Sure I’ve had a small taste of Guinness before but I never ordered one for myself. So I bought one, popped it, and listened to that little ball dance around the inside of the can as I poured it into a frosty pint glass. At first it was really stout and attacked my taste buds almost as if it knew we were different, that I didn’t normally drink dark beer. But, I was patient and as time progressed (sip after sip) we feel into a nice harmonious rhythm. It wasn’t all easy. There were times when I felt insecure…like I shouldn’t be drinking this and Guinness would let me know. But there were other times of pure bliss, passionate, even love. In the end, it didn’t really matter that it was a dark beer. I just saw it for what it was… a delicious beer.

The movie wasn’t all that bad, either. It was about a beautiful high profile lawyer named Kenya who can’t seem to find the right man. She doesn’t make it easy. She’s a workaholic, somewhat judgemental, and has a list. And, that list is long. She isn’t looking for that much. He just has to be attractive and have a job plus about 300 other things. This list is the reason she is single and dateless on Valentine’s Day. She has good girlfriends, though, who love her and back her up. One of them sets her up on a blind date with Brian. She agrees and then she meets Brian. He seems nice only there is one problem. He is white and she is black. Brian doesn’t care. She does and quickly ends the date. It isn’t until she discovers he is a highly sought after landscape architect and hires him to work on her backyard that the “love” begins to happen.

This is a pretty good story and it will keep you wondering what is going to happen. I liked it a lot better than I thought I would. I’ll recommend it without making so many of the obvious jokes that I could easily make. Come on people…Can’t we all just get along?

It likes the late Micheal Jackson (RIP) said;

Now I believe in miracles
And a miracle
Has happened tonight

I said if
Youre thinkin of
Being my baby
It dont matter if youre black or white

Download the song, watch the movie, drink a Guinness.

FORCE THE BOYFRIEND: 5 out of 10 (1 means he'll hate it, 10 means he'll like it)- He’ll probably like it. I did.

Chick Flick: 4 cartons of ice cream (out of 5)
DVD: 4 pieces of milky chocolate (out of 5)*
Beer: 5 manly high fives (out of 5)

*For the unnecessary and somewhat strange introduction by Blair Underwood.

No comments:

Post a Comment