Whip It (2009)


Directed by Drew Barrymore
Starring Ellen Page, Marcia Gay Harden, Kristen Wiig, Juliette Lewis, Jimmy Fallon, Daniel Stern, Andrew Wilson, and Drew Barrymore

Recommended by: Ashley M.

Roller Derby, anyone? I don't know what to say about this movie other than I really enjoyed it. Could I tell where the story was headed? Yes. Was it kinda the typical "fish out of water" story? Yes. Was it kinda the typical "coming-of-age" story? Yes. Was it kinda the typical "gotta get out of this smalltown" story"? Yes, again. Did all of that take away from me enjoying it? No. Did I know anything about rollerball? No. Did I enjoy watching tattooed chicks beat up on each other in tight shirts and short shorts? Yes. Did I enjoy the Modelo Especial? Yes. Did Ellen Page bother me as much as she did in "Juno" (2007)? No....

Let me digress (on a couple of things)...First, I hate "Juno" (2007). I think it is an overrated stupid film that got a lot of hype for being an "independent" film (which it wasn't) just because it was written by ex-stripper turned writer...or maybe she was just stripping to support her writing...whatever...I actually like strippers...its not the stripper thing that bothers me...it was the story of "Juno"(2007). Why? Because Juno gets pregnant, gives away the baby, and learns nothing. I also love Micheal Cera and think he is hilarious...he is stupid in this..."Juno" (2007) is a stupid, stupid movie that tries too hard to be quirky. I could go on but I wont...think about it an you'll agree.

On to my second digression, I may have drank and rated Modelo Especial before, I can't remember. It's a great beer to drink in the heat and also great with, or without, a lime. It's a little richer than Corona and if you feel like being snoody and not drinking a Corona then grab a Modelo Espeicial and tell people you prefer it over Corona. I also don't think I'm good at reviewing beers because I like most of them. I actually love beer and I want to give them all 5 stars. Except for a beer called a Odd Notion. It's horrible and looks like this;
















It is a Magic Hat winter seasonal and it literally taste like cat piss, etc. etc. If you have ever seen the original Willy Wonka movie and remember the scene in which the gum chewing girl chews a piece of gum that is like a 5 course meal then think of the Odd Notion winter seasonal. It is a multiple taste transformation...beer...bitter...dirt...sh!t...cat piss...that is actually what it tastes like. Let me give a shout out to my boy, Rob, for letting me taste it. And, Chris, I knew you weren't manly enough to finish it. I give the Odd Notion "0 stars" or maybe I should give it "5 stars" because any beer that actually manages to taste that bad is genius. I won't comment on the stuff in the background.

Enough with the digressions...moving on...to the actual movie. It was good. I was throughly entertained and it could have been longer and I wouldn't have cared...I would have kept watching. It is a fine directorial debut for Drew Barrymore and it was a solid story with an even emotional arch. Not like the normal chick flick. Guys and girls could both like this one even though, it is a total "Girls Rule" and "Girl Power" movie. For fans of "Bottle Rocket" (1996) lookout for a decent role for Future Man, the least popular of the Wilson brothers. Also, for people that are normally as annoyed by Jimmy Fallon as I am...he isn't that annoying in this...

FORCE THE BOYFRIEND: 8 out of 10 (1 mean he'll hate it, 10 means he'll love it) - Go ahead and force him...I think he'll like it.

Watch if you liked...Juno (2007) and girls beating up on each other with tattoos and short shorts...

Chick Flick: 4 cartons of ice cream (out of 5)-
DVD: 1 pieces of milky chocolate (out of 5)- no special features
Modelo Especial: 4 manly high fives (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment