War Movies For Chicks!

I’ve compiled five great “chick friendly” World War II movies. So, go ahead and take it out on the hubby or boyfriend. Who knows they may even like it.


From Here to Eternity (1953)Directed by Fred Zinnemann
Starring Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift, Donna Reed, Deborah Kerr, and Montgomery Clift

And, you thought it started with Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett in Pearl Harbor. Well, guess again. This is a great, great, movie and it even garnered Frankie Sinatra an Academy Award. You probably seen part of it before...you know the black and white scene with the couple rolling around on the beach at the watersedge...well, its from this movie. I've seen it numerous times...and I even read the book I liked the movie so much. This is a must see...for you and your boyfriend.




The English Patient (1996)
Directed by Anthony Minghella
Starring Ralph Fiennes, Juliette Binoche, Willem Dafoe, Kristin Scott Thomas and Colin Firth

This movie won like 300 Academy Awards (and if that doesn't mean anything to you, and sometimes it doesn't) then just take my word for it and watch it. It is what you chicks call a timeless, love story and there is lots of war so there is plenty for everyone. Very well acted and directed. If you saw it in the 90's then watch it again. If you have never seen it then watch it because I say so...and make your boytoy watch it, too.


The Diary of Anne Frank (1959)
Directed by George Stevens
Starring Shelley Winters, Millie Perkins, Ed Wynn, Lou Jacobi, and Diane Baker

Like me you were probably forced to read this book in school. And, even at the time you knew that this was an important book. You might have even got to watch the movie in class and give your English teacher a break. Watch it again, and this time, pay attention to the scene in which the Frank family is about to be discovered by the Nazis. It doesn't get more emotional or suspenseful then that. Is this necesarilly a chick flick? Probably not...but it was written by a chick and it is very, very good.



Notorious (1946)
Directed by Alfred Hitchcock
Starring Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman, and Claude Rains

I am a huge, huge, huge Alfred Hitchcock fan. I think his films are the reason I even like movies to begin with. Few directors have been able to blend art and commerce so nicely. The Birds is one of my all-time favorite films...why might you ask?...well, one reason is that it really isnt about birds...there are birds attacking people...but...I'm getting off topic. This film is one of Hitchcock's best and at it's heart is many chick flick elements...the relationship between Grant and Bergman to say the least...plus, there are Nazis...look out for the macguffin...you tell me what it is.



Racing with the Moon (1984)
Directed by Richard Benjamin
Starring Sean Penn, Nic Cage, and Elizabeth McGovern


This movies stars Sean Penn and Nic Cage and I bet you haven't even heard of it. I came across it a couple of years ago and wondered how the hell I had never heard of it. I went out and found it on DVD and fell in love with. It took me mulitple viewings much thought before I finally admitted to myself that, at it's core, this film is very much a chick flick. It takes place in 1943 and Sean and Nic are like many other American boys ready to go off and fight in the war...Sean meets Elizabeth...and well...watch the movie. It's great. I highly recommend it if you liked "The Notebook".




No comments:

Post a Comment