The Skeleton Twins (2014)

Directed by Craig Johnson
Starring Kristen Wiig, Bill Hader, and Luke Wilson

by Joshua Simpkins

Ok, for everyone out there expecting to see a scary halloween movie about skeletons, this is not your movie. I mean, I only saw like 3 skeletons in it. And, two of them were tattoos. I walked in expecting to see this season's new it horror flick about murderous twins made of bone.  Instead, I almost cried in it...twice.

Bill Hader plays Milo, a gay aspiring actor, who after drinking too much and becoming "melodramatic" attempts suicide. On the same day, across the country his twin sister Maggie, played by Kristen Wiig, is contemplating committing suicide herself when she gets the call about Milo. She rushes to LA to see him and he comes back to small-town New York to live with her and her husband (Luke Wilson)and mend his wombs. They have been estranged for a decade and the entire movie is about them reconnected.

Before I go any further I must say, Bill Hader needs and oscar nomination for this role. He is totally believable as Milo. I forgot it was actually Bill Hader and I'm not a super fan of his but for anyone that sees this and disagrees...as the sticker on some pole I saw read...Haders gonna Hade.  Kristen Wiig is awesome, too!

While this movie isn't really about skeletons, it is about a lot of other things...love, friendship, family, fake farting, depression, hope, nitrous, angst, Moby Dick, sticks and it takes place around Halloween. It's a drama with comedic elements, and it is really sad at times. It is as manic as the characters.

I highly recommend seeing this movie. It's great!

                        FORCE THE BOYFRIEND:  8 out of 10 (They'll like but may not admit it)

Beer Pairing Recommendation


Umm, its about skeleton twins on halloween...if you don't get it
I'm not going to explain it...


No comments:

Post a Comment