Waitress (2007)



Directed by Adrienne Shelly
Starring Keri Russell, Nathan Fillion, and Jeremy Sisto with Cheryl Hines, Adrienne Shelly and Andy Griffith


So, here is yet another movie, that I would have never subjected myself...and yet...I do again and again. A movie about a waitress who is into making pies..boooriing. She is unhappy in her marriage...booorinng. She wants to start a new life for herself...boooring. She's pregnant...booring again. This thing had chick flick fluff garbage all over it. And, yet, I still sat down to watch it (this time with an Yuengling Original Black and Tan). And, in the end, I actually enjoyed it.

"Waitress" stars Keri Russell (think "Felicity") as Jenna, a Waitress (surprise!) whose desperate plan to leave her controlling husband Earl, played by Jeremy Sisto, is foiled when she discovers she is pregnant with his baby. Not the type of woman who would give up a baby, she decides to keep it which leads her to meet the new Doctor in town, played by Nathan Fillion (think "Two Guys, A Girl, and A Pizza Place"). She is not happy about this pregnancy or her life but still gets tons of support from her co-workers, and Andy Griffith. The only think she really loves in life is making pies, and she is really an artist when it comes to making pies.

That's it. That's the set-up. What do you think will happen? Well, you'll have to watch it. I'm not going to tell you here. I will say this. I do find after watch all these chick flicks with their cookie-cutter characters and plots, etc. that whenever one is made with a writer/director it does make that chick flick a lot more interesting. There are some pretty surreal moments in "Waitress", strange things that wouldn't normally be seen in your average chick flick. I think its for the better. And, I craved pie throughout the entire movie.

"Waitress" is actually very entertaining once you allow yourself time to get into it. This is because the characters are so (should I use the chicky word) "endearing". Although, it took me a little while to get used to non-southern actors using southern accents. And, if you have problems with non-southern actors using southern accents then you know what I'm talking about. These aren't that bad so you get used to them pretty quickly.

The Yuengling's Original Black and Tan. I really recommend this if your a fan of Black and Tan. It's probably the next best thing to getting one in a bar.

This movie is overshadowed by the death of the actor/writer/director Adrienne Shelly who was murdered during post-production on this film. It's actually a very sad and tragic story. If you want to know more check her out on imdb or wiki it.

FORCE THE BOYFRIEND: 7 out of 10 (1 mean he'll hate it, 10 means he'll love it)

Watched if you liked...any chick flick whatsoever.

Chick Flick: 4 cartons of ice cream (out of 5)
DVD: 3 pieces of milky chocolate (out of 5)-a nice homage to director Adrienne Shelly
Beer: 5 manly high fives (out of 5)- but then again, I love Black and Tans

1 comment:

  1. Andy Griffith's cameo in this film was probably my favorite piece of this whole story. That and Cheryl Hines, who, BTW is from the PANHANDLE OF FLORIDA...Tallahassee....even though I despise FSU, I love Cheryl Hines in this film and her comedic genius. Kerri Rusell's character was refreshing as it was pathetic. On one hand, it was nice to see her outside of her usual goody-goody, pretentious character and on the other hand, it was annoying how nieve she was about thinking pie was going to solve her problems! If Pie solves major life problems such as being a single mother of a child you don't want while cheating on your baby's daddy with your married doctor, sign me up for some pie making classes!!!!

    ReplyDelete